Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Combing doll hair -- must the comb be metal?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Melissa*Olivia's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    515
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    When combing a doll's hair (particularly wet hair), do you have to use a metal comb? We have wire brushes for brushing hair, but I want to be able to do finer work and have never used a comb before. I don't want to use the wrong kind -- our dolls have enough hair issues already! Thanks!

  2. #2
    Ashley1972
    Guest Ashley1972's Avatar

    Post

    I think that it does have to be metal since it's plastic that frizzes the hair. Are you having trouble finding a metal comb? Maybe Sally's will have them. I know they have wire hair picks. If anything I would buy one from the pet store. PM me if you're having trouble with dry, frizzed hair.

  3. #3
    GreyMyst
    Guest GreyMyst's Avatar

    Post

    I've used a plastic wide tooth comb without any ill effects, but I don't know how good it is in the long term.

    That's an interesting question.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Katie from IL's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2005
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This is the only time I'll ever say that AG should be more like Barbie. [img]confused.gif[/img]

    Whenever I bought Barbies 20-25 years ago they always came with a brush or comb. I think AG should include one of their $6 wire hairbrushes with every doll, or at the very least in the accessory sets. We pay $100 (maybe more if the prices go up) for a doll, and her clothes, jewelry, purse and accessories. Wouldn't personal care be an important accessory? Plus it would encourage girls to expand their creativity and steer them in the right direction as far as what to brush the doll's hair with. I'll bet right now, many girls probably use whatever they can find around the house to brush their doll's hair.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Stephanie31802's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2004
    Posts
    299
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Diamond Dragon:
    I'll bet right now, many girls probably use whatever they can find around the house to brush their doll's hair.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When I was growing up I did with my Samantha. I always pestered my mother for a brush but I never got one.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 3castles's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2006
    Posts
    372
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What really bothers me is that they don't even include any hair care info with the dolls when you buy them. If it wasn't for this board DD would still be using a 'people' hair brush on hers! I never knew that this wasn't okay. We also weren't using water on her hair.

    Thank goodness for the HB!!!!! A friend of DD's is getting a new AG for her birthday and one of the first thing I told her Mom is to be sure to get a wig brush and spray the hair!!! Also, not to use any of her DD's hair accessories because the oils will transfer to the doll's hair.

    Seems like the least AG could do was include a little pamphlet on Doll hair care, doesn't it???

    When AGPLA opened we did see a clip where a little girl said that the doll hairdressers said to use a toothbrush to smooth down any stray hairs.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Melissa*Olivia's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    515
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by 3castles:
    What really bothers me is that they don't even include any hair care info with the dolls when you buy them. If it wasn't for this board DD would still be using a 'people' hair brush on hers! I never knew that this wasn't okay.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Same here! Josefina was our first doll, and now her hair is completely thrashed because of my daughter using our own brushes and combs on it.

    Including a wire brush (and haircare instructions) with the doll and her meet outfit is a great idea.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member EmilyMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 5th, 2004
    Posts
    174
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It would be nice if AG would include a proper brush with the dolls. It would save lots of returns IMO.

    I often wonder if using a wire wig brush would work on Barbie dolls, if a small enough brush could be found. Barbies usually end up looking like they stuck their fingers in a light socket!

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Katie148's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    457
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    originally posted by 3castles:
    What really bothers me is that they don't even include any hair care info with the dolls when you buy them. If it wasn't for this board DD would still be using a 'people' hair brush on hers! I never knew that this wasn't okay.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I could swear that they do come with a little card that gives some general care tips, including hair. I thought it said on the wrist tags they arrive with something like, "your doll's hair is made of high-quality Kanekelon. To keep it looking nice, please use a wire wig brush." Or something to that effect...unfortunately I don't have a wrist tag handy to look at. But I'm almost sure it does say on it to use a wire wig brush.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member FelinaDoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    692
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I keep buying brushes because I keep loosing them - In honesty I got the party pack and have a box tucked away - i am so sad.

    DD firsts dolls hair is not as pristine as the others since I didn't get her a brush off the bat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •